How often should you replace a sump pump for your home? Sump pumps are a lot of help for getting rid of extra water that threatens to damage your home’s foundation. There are many benefits to sump pump installation, but we’d like to discuss how often you should replace this important fixture.
Lifespan Expectation: When to Replace a Sump Pump
The lifespan of your sump pump is like any other equipment or hardware. It depends on when you installed it, and how much wear and tear it’s had to endure.
Most sump pumps will come with a warranty of about one to three years. However, the pump may last you as long as 10 to 15 years. Occasionally, homeowners might get 25 years out of one without running into major difficulties.
Manufacturers make sump pumps from various materials, including stainless steel and plastic pipes. So, it’s just like other plumbing fixtures, where the material itself will dictate what you can expect from it. Sometimes, when we do the drain-tile installation, which carries a 15-year warranty, it’ll include a sump pump installation.
Sump Pump Types
There are many sump pump types and they’re easy to find in big department stores like Lowe’s. Many of them function the same, so we’ll focus on a couple of ones we see or install often.
One of the most popular sump pumps is the WatchDog brand. You’ll find these in many basements around Kansas City. We don’t recommend these because they fail to deliver on efficiency or lifespan.
In fact, we often get calls to replace WatchDog pumps after only a year of usage ( beneath the manufacturer’s warranty). They burn out too quickly, so we prefer to install solar sump pumps that operate much better.
These have been around for a while now, and we don’t get a lot of calls for replacements prematurely. Solar pumps are easy to find in department stores, but we have a specific plumbing supply location where we get the ones we use all the time.
Best Reasons to Have a Sump Pump
There are several advantages to having a sump pump for your home.
- They keep the basement dry. This is the most obvious benefit, but one that you won’t take for granted after suffering through the headache of water intrusion, cracks, etc.
- Sump pumps help stabilize the soil, which helps stabilize your foundation. This works well for residential and commercial buildings alike.
- If you can divert water from your home’s interior, you’ll have a much better chance to prevent mold and mildew growth.
- You can also increase your home value. It’s not much different from redoing your roof or siding. If you want to add value to your home, protecting it from the elements is crucial.
- Many sump pumps can alert the homeowner if there is a malfunction. This at least gives you time to intervene before matters get worse.
If you experience any trouble with your sump pump, contact Olson Foundation Repair for an inspection and replacement service.
Call Olson Foundation Repair to Help You
While some parts are easy enough to replace, you should call a professional to ensure proper installation the first time. As we said, you might grab the wrong pump and experience disappointment when it stops functioning too soon.
Olson Foundation Repair is fully bonded, licensed, and insured to install sump pumps and other drainage solutions for residential properties in Kansas City. When you have us install these systems for you, it goes a long way to prevent potential catastrophes like basement floods, leaky walls, and so forth. You no longer have to take chances with the do-it-yourself approach when you can rely on the services of a competent foundation contractor.
If you want us to help you replace a sump pump, contact us any time to book a spot for our reliable services.